Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Beautiful Advice About Loving Your Body

I recently discovered that Amy Poehler has a channel on YouTube called "Smart Girls" that celebrates girls around the world who are accomplishing wonderful things by being themselves.  It's geared toward young girls, and I actually wish I could go back to my 13-year-old self and watch some of these videos and be inspired.  If you have a younger sister/daughter/friend, send them here!

Amy Poehler just jumped up a few notches in my book, though she was already pretty high on my list of favorites.  In response to a young girl's question about being unhappy with her body, Amy gives this thoughtful answer that I think every woman should hear, because body issues can plague women at any age and at any stage in life.  As I struggle with my body right now while recovering from surgery, wishing I could heal faster, hoping my body will be able to once again do what it could before all of my back problems, these words are encouraging, uplifting, and universal.



Let's not forget to be grateful to our bodies, and focus on what they enable us to do, rather than what we dislike about them.  And let's pass this on to the next generation of girls as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment