Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July Strawberries!

I've never been one for baking. Now cooking, I'm all for it. I am up for cooking any recipe I can get my hands on, but for some reason I've just never been that great at baking. However, when my church, the wonderful Brand New Church, decided to host a 4th of July cookout this past Sunday, I knew I wanted to do something creative.

These 4th of July strawberries aren't that hard to find online! I stumbled upon them on Pinterest but a simple google search would do the trick. I decided to use The Yummy Life blog.

You will need:
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup white chocolate or vanilla chips
  • 24 strawberries, washed and dried
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • Red,white/clear & blue decorating sprinkles

  
First thing's first melt the chocolate in a microwaveable bowl with 1 tbsp. canola oil. Now, the directions called for simply microwaving the chips for 20-30 seconds, stirring each time, until the last chip is nearly melted. I followed the instructions carefully, but still had trouble with the chocolate hardening up on me half way through the dipping. So, for those of you pro's out there that know how to handle your chocolate, I say use your own methods! 
Next, separate the strawberries and begin dipping each one into the chocolate letting excess drip back into the bowl and immediately after dip it into the sprinkles.  
Place the dipped strawberries on wax paper. I only had plastic so whatever works really :)
Let them sit for at least thirty minutes and ta da! 
You are ready to blow everyone's minds at the cookout!


OK, so mine don't exactly look as good as the others online. This was a messy process I tell ya! 
However, I guarantee they tasted just as good : )

Happy 4th of July one and all! 
Hope you have an amazing holiday with your family and friends,
and don't forget to give thanks for the freedom to make 
strawberries like these anytime you'd like!

1 comment: