Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Look Ma, I made a Cobbler!


My mom is a whiz in the kitchen.  I noticed when I was a pretty young that she has this amazing ability to throw a meal together, a delicious meal, with no recipe or any planning.  She just did it.  Magic. 

I decided I wanted to make a cobbler the other day.  Granted, I had to look up a recipe (not quite to my mom's skill set yet), but I actually had all the ingredients on hand.  And I whipped it up.  And it was good!

Ingredients:
  • pints raspberries
  • 1/3  cup  plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2  cups  plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1/4  teaspoon  kosher salt
  • 1  teaspoon  grated lemon zest
  • 6  tablespoons  cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 2  cups  heavy cream 
   
Directions:

Heat oven to 375° F. In a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish or a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, toss the blueberries, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 tablespoon flour.

In a medium bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and the remaining flour and sugar.

Add the butter and blend with your fingers or 2 knives until coarse crumbs form. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream and mix until a shaggy dough forms.

Drop mounds of dough over the blueberry mixture. Bake until the berries are bubbling and the top is golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve with the remaining cream for drizzling, if desired. (it's desired, I promise!).

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. I can hardly cook chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And hey, from what I remember, chicken can be pretty tricky sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I love a good cobbler. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete